Eventful day in my life! I had class this morning, went to Green Market Square which is a huuuge market, then to the Waterfront for some different kind of shopping. We leave here on Monday and will be out of the loop with technology until we land in Washington DC in the wee hours of May 7th. I feel much more accomplished having checked some things off my "to get" list. There's not much time or money left so I hope I've gotten enough!
After all of those activities some of us headed back to school, messed around on our computers since we're practically done with class work, went home to eat dinner quickly then headed out to a fashion show! It was held in a parking garage, which seems shady but was actually REALLY cool! It was held by a local rich college and there was a good show. In between the outfits they had different dancing groups perform and I loved watching all the hip hop. It's so weird to me that so much of South African music and culture is actually American! My parents here were listening to oldies on Saturday and I knew most the songs!! So funny how technology spreads the media and what's popular quickly.
We were at Hillsong Church on Sunday and 5/6 girls on stage had skinni jeans tucked into pants. It was funny because for us that fashion has already come and passed and we are looking onto the next fad, so we felt that this style was out to date. I laughed when my roommate Katie reminded me that we have already had winter and thus South Africa has seen what we did and now when they're going into their winter they pick out our biggest trends!
That's my news lately :) Had a fun night. One of the mentors, Tom, is really fun and has done a great job of getting us out and doing fun things if we want.
Tomorrow (Thursday) we are going on a field trip to see Afrikaaner culture/tour more of Cape Town area. Hopefully that night we can go out and do more fun things as we celebrate the end of a great semester!!
With love from Africa,
Paige
(7 more days until I'm on a plane! 8 until I get to LAX!!!!)
Thursday:
Today was an odd day. The tour of the Afrikaner (white) culture was pretty boring as we just went to a few monuments. Luckily I enjoy hanging out on the bus! I bring both my laptop and iPod and end up using up the batteries on both when we go places through watching movies then listening to music. It was hard today especially since we were just getting out and looking at statues. Felt pretty pointless. But then I kind of feel like, "oh well, what else would we have done with our time? spend money?" so it's alright. Taking pictures was fun at least :)
Afterwards got to Skype with both Mom and Dad and it was SO great!! It's the second time I've got to talk to them with something other than email. They are headed out this weekend to Michigan for our youth pastor Brennan's wedding!!! Talking to them made me tear up (well, ok, I cried) because I miss them SO much! Excited to see them soon :) Then I came home to my lovely South African parents and ate a delicious dinner. I went over to Micah, Grant and Chad's place where Katie was and watched the end of 4 movies (The Incredibles, Collateral, James Bond: Die Another Day we almost finished and You've Got Mail) which we had started on the bus or hanging out but got cut off early. So that was fun :)
Now I'm back at my home. I just went through a ton of pictures from Freshman year and re read my diary from the beginning of this trip which was so weird to read! It feels like so long ago yet like yesterday at the same time. Guess that's how life feels sometimes!!
As of Friday (when I am posting this) I have 5 more days until I am leaving on the plane and 6 more days until I am HOME!!!! I think it's about 22 hours of flying but I don't even care! Just excited to be back :)
Today after class some of us are going to Canal Walk which is a big mall to hang out for the day and probably see a movie. :) We'll see :)
With love from Africa,
Paige
4 comments:
How many of those in your group are from Azuza? Or are you all?
All of us are. There's 33 of us :)
Loved hearing from you. I'm glad all is well and that you are feeling ready to come home. You have had a great semester and we have enjoyed you sharing it all with us. I think our Chetter Chetter Bang Bang is going to be with us very soon!
Big Hugs, Barbie
so glad the end of your trip is going so well! i LOVE that jumping picture...such beautiful scenery...plus you are getting good at those. :D miss you and love you, friend. with love, from Indiana (not as cool as SA, but you understand). ha.
Post a Comment