Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The Positive Re-Writing of Actually Bad Memories

Do you ever feel, like a plastic bag, drifting throughout the wind... wait, I'm not Katy Perry.

Do you ever feel like you're the only sane person in this world?

HOLLA!

Now, to be fair I often times feel like I'm the craziest person in this world. But those moments when you KNOW, when you KNOW you are right and everyone else is wrong...

(Mental Picture: Michael in Arrested Development)

That's what I'm talking about.

The Positive Re-Writing of Actually Bad Memories is a rant I've had deep seeded from the second/sixth grade. You see, in the second grade for a few months I had the WORST teacher in the world. No one in my class liked her and I don't believe she liked anyone in my class.

For years we all spoke of her name with a hiss on our tongue and one only could recall a bad thought.

But a funny thing happened in 6th grade when she was retiring and everyone who was in her 2nd grade class got an invitation to attend her goodbye luncheon. I scoffed, tossed that paper aside and said to a fellow classmate, "Go see her? She was SO mean! I'm not saying goodbye to that lady!"

And that classmate's reply:
"She wasn't mean. What are you talking about? I think I'm going to go to it."

That classmate had suffered the trenches with me, bore the burdens of that awful class and FORGOT? How is this possible? I told story after story to my classmate of times when this teacher was horrendous and in return I got a shrug and an, "I just don't remember her being mean."

Now, I know The Positive Re-Writing of Actually Bad Memories is probably a good thing. Why remember the crappy stuff if you can just re-write some good? Like my previous post, I will remember the good of the longest light in El Centro and not the bad because it's just a better, happier way to live my life.

But sometimes it's the most annoying thing. (Even if it's the best thing.)

So today, for a limited time only, I charge you to reply to a friend with The Actual Empathy of Actually Bad Memory to those who would like to sulk, vent, rant and rave in the drama of their second grade classroom... or whatever their memory is. And thank you for listening to mine. (Insert bow and applause here.)

For more insanity, watch Arrested Development. This is the main character Michael's life. Luckily, it's a rare instance in mine.

With love from El Sanetro,
Paige

0 comments: