Friday, December 30, 2011

Choose Joy

As the end of 2011 and the beginning of 2012 draw near I've started to think of how 2012 can be a time when I move forward and grow as a person (hopefully not in size!).

Something that's been on my mind for a while is "Choose Joy." I had been thinking of this slogan and heard it was also an APU slogan for the year, so it just seemed fitting for me to mull it over. What does "Choose Joy" even mean in my life?

I've decided it does not mean "Choose Happiness." It does not mean I am unrealistic positive or that I ignore hurt, negativity, reality, etc. It does not mean everything is going right for me and I am happy as a result. (Although I never mind that scenario ;))

This year I have been the most emotional I've ever been. Yes, we've had a lot of transition and change in our first year of marriage. BUT I think I let those transitions become an excuse for not taking control of my emotions. I started to feel like a monster who's impulse reactions became my only reactions. I started to feel crazy.

In this, I realized I was not choosing joy. I was choosing to dwell in self-pity, frustration... whatever it was... and not moving beyond that into the hope and joy that Jesus gives us.

A life following our Lord is not one that is easy, but it's a good one. It's one full of joy despite all circumstances. It's one where we practice self-control, not to suppress our emotions, but to react respectfully, honorably, and courageously.

So in this new year I am beating it into my head to "Choose Joy." To choose to walk in the joy that Jesus brings us and not dwell in self-destructive thought patterns or practices that lead no where good.

Feel free to join me. :)

With love from Sacramento,
Paige

Do you have any resolutions?? Share them if you do!

3 comments:

Carol Huston said...

Hi Paige: I love your blog and I love that your resolution is to choose joy!! I am in the middle of the most amazing book I have ever read. It is called A Thousand Gifts by Ann VonKamp. I am challenged in the coming year to live a life of gratitude. She explains it in the first 3 chapters of the book and how if we truly do that with every single moment it will revolutionize our lives. 2 websites to go to: www.athousandgifts.com and www.aholyexperience.com
Ann has a bunch of downloadable material. You can also read the first chapter...
Think of you and Jeremy often and say a prayer!!
Happy New Joyful Year!!! Love, Carol
I

Carol Huston said...

Website is www.onethousandgifts.com SORRY!!!!!!

Hillary said...

Paige, I really resonated with what you had to say. Thank you SO much for sharing htis!