Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Driving in squares

This is a bit of a repeat post but I have been so aware of this idea of " coming to terms with change" lately I can't help but write about it again.

I am not good with directions.

You see, growing up with a mother who (sorry mom) is bad at directions, I thought I was pretty good. But my job has me in my car from 8-5 and I can barely make it to the grocery store without my GPS, let alone any of my offices. And sometimes the GPS confuses me and I get lost (last night. twice. downtown. I HATE DRIVING DOWNTOWN.).

I have finally become aware of this and don't push back on it anymore. I suck at directions. I'm overly confident in my abilities to get from point A to point B and that oftentimes leads me to not listen to directions thoroughly, take proper notes, and my "winging it" rarely pays off.

I have known this for some time now, but I've resisted accepting it. Maybe it's one of those "I'm not my mother" syndromes we all suffer from (once again, sorry mom) or a pride thing. But last night as I was making squares downtown on one way streets trying to find the freeway (did I mention I HATE DRIVING DOWNTOWN?) while I say sarcastic remarks to my GPS, I decided to embrace it:

I am not good with directions. And I am my mother.

One more to share:

I am not good at "giving things to God."

I was talking to my wonderful friend Lauren via text about life and decisions and she remarked that she has to constantly give her life and decisions back to God, every day, because she wants to take back the control of it all.

Well Lauren is one smart cookie and someone who's opinion and spiritual advice I've always appreciated, so today I thought I'd give it a try giving my woes to the Lord.

A 15 minute out loud-in-my-car-conversation-to-God later, I somehow came to the terrible conclusion that "I've got this" and "that's great for Lauren." Ugh.

Repeat: I'm not good at "giving things to God."

Something that I like about identifying what I'm not good at is that I realize my weaknesses and I don't resist them anymore. I embrace these things I'm terrible at and then I can consciously make an effort to be better. Otherwise I'm in denial not working on them at all.

So good luck lowering your pride and realizing that you just aren't good some things, even if you once thought you were. It's humbling and has ended up making me more self-assured and at peace with who I truly am.

With love from Roseville,

Paige

3 comments:

Kalie Dub said...

I like raw paige posts :) thanks.

Laurie J. said...

Ah, genetics! The irony! ;)

the sniders said...

Ditto to Kalie's comment. I love hearing your true thoughts on things - it's real, and it's what most of us are really thinking in our own lives. :D Love you, and I'm happy I got to "inspire" one of your posts. HA!