Sunday, February 8, 2009

So much!

I can't believe two days can provide so much information and so many pictures! (All added to my newest Facebook album)

Saturday was one of the most fun days we've had here (or that was the group consensus at least)! First, I got to Skype with Jeremy that morning which made the whole day great :) Although usually when I'm at the beach it is a time I call Mom, Dad, Brooke and Barbie so it was hard not having a cell phone. :( But we went to Durban, about 45 minutes away and home to one of the top 5 surfing spots in the world. It was fun saying we have swam in the Indian Ocean! The water was SO warm! And especially salty so we all floated really well.


At first the waves were mellow and my friend Megan Goeman and I hung out while three girls rented surf boards and we taught them the basics on how to surf. So we were in the water with them and the waves were all mellow and great for us beginners and so Megan and I felt like we were missing out so we went and got boards of our own! And lets just say- we were HUMBLED! Somehow the waves turned vicious in the 20 minutes and we got flipped and flipped in the first 5 minutes we were out there. I didn't even end up getting up but Megan did a great job. Overall it was fun but TIRING!!!

We then got out and relaxed for a few, went and returned our boards and then went and got some smoothies which tasted GREAT after all that salt water!! We ended up searching for a market which was about a 30 minute walk which we did about 25 minutes of then decided to turn around (bummer!) but luckily we'll be back there in a few weeks to go to a water theme park on the beach we were at. (awesome!)


The overall feeling after our beach day was, "Doesn't this feel like vacation?!? And THIS is SCHOOL!" :) Below is a picture outside the bus on the drive back...


Today (Sunday) was equally as FUN! I went with about 10 other students/leaders to a church here in town which we nickname the Family Church since the name is long. It is more charismatic than Arcade but extremely different than what I was used to. The service was a little bit longer than I'm used to but I went in expecting it! It was SO great... so there's about 50 people there, maybe more, but it's a very small room that's PACKED full! And when worship started it sounded louder than Arcade (300 people) doing a hymn (so everyone's singing) on Easter Sunday. The energy and JOY in that place was AMAZING!!! Everyone, and I mean everyone, was singing enthusiastically to the Lord and the whole time I felt like "THIS is what Heaven is going to be like! PURE JOY!"

I could go on and on. But overall: great and so welcoming. Definitely going back. Then we stopped by a bakery and got some goodies and headed back to school for lunch and got ready for PAINTBALL! Again, so much fun! When we got there (about 25 minutes away) we numbered off into teams, got geared up, instructions and went at it! It was each team's goal to reach the other side without being hit and hitting the button which sounded a horn. I mostly played the sniper role by the goal as I had a good shot but didn't want to be the runner who was getting shot at!!

Our group is just hilarious in general. We had so much fun and everyone who went (so it seemed) really loved it. I played 4 games and we were all POOPED! Time for dinner...

After dinner 6 of us stayed at our table and talked until we had to move then went to the couches and continued for a few hours. So great getting to know people more and just enjoying being around them.

RIght now I'm about to talk to Jeremy so I'm peacing!

With love from South Africa,
Paige

2 comments:

Laurie J. said...

Wow! Sounds like such a fun weekend! I'm so glad you got ALL those experiences! :-) You really had a blast, huh. That's great.
Looking forward to talking to you soon!
mom

Anonymous said...

Sounds like things are incredible and so full. I'm glad all is well. Miss you. Barbie