Unless it's a holiday or I'm around guests, where I wake up energized and ready to go, most days I grumble at my alarm, hit snooze a few too many times, do my zombie walk straight from bed into the kitchen for a bowl of cereal and soy, and de-anger as I take bite after bite. Poor Jeremy, as he is leaving for work I try to stay as pleasant as possible, sometimes without success.
Anywho, today I woke up chipper. It probably helped I had lots of dreams about babies. And then one scary one about a shark... but anyways, I was happy. And as I went to the gym, got ready, and ate I was keenly aware of all of the little things in our home that bring me joy every day.
I really love most of the objects in our home. We have Rosa, or now M.J. (name change- long story) the Kitchen Aid Mixer, and Essie the espresso maker, the bedroom set which I love, etc. which make me really happy to have and use. But there is something about the little things, the ones bought at Marshalls or made by a friend, that go beyond happiness and give me a little bit of joy every time I pass them.
These things have a story.
First, is a cluster found in our bedroom. The purple roses make me me smile. And the frames (found in Marshalls) filled with 10 cent pictures remind me while I'm getting ready for the day of the man I'm so, so in love with.
This picture was taken on Halloween 2008 when Jeremy and I had been dating for 3 weeks. We had a hilarious time with his family and Bowman, a friend. Once again, a 10 cent picture in a 5 dollar frame.
I don't know what it is specifically about this concoction of decor in our bathroom that I love so much... but I do. Maybe it helps because these candles are scented? Who knows. I love them.
On the shelf of our key hook/mirror thingy is this tiny vase with tiny flowers. I was going to buy something to put on here and Jeremy thought we could use something we already had. Together we made this little piece, and every time I look at it I think of my Momma who would love it. And then I smile :)
I made "Jeremy's Man Mug" right when we started dating, because his roommates and him always tried to get the biggest mug in their kitchen. It's ginormous and front and center in our kitchen. And yes, he had the biggest mug in his house.
A picture Evie sent me on our fridge. She's my pen pall :) And can I say- she's THREE and already writing! Genius.
Corinne occupies a shelf in our home, displaying one of the most thoughtful gifts I've ever received. She not only sneakily organized a photoshoot for us, but scrapbooked our friendship throughout the years. And she doesn't do anything half-heartedly. This must have taken hours of love.


Another extremely thoughtful gift is the Miller Family Cookbook Mary ordered for us, with family recipes up the wazoo! We use it at least three times a week!! It's always on our counter.


And this last item in our house makes me laugh. This ugly plant I have a fancy for, that Jeremy doesn't love, is proudly displayed. It's gotten a little bent throughout my moves and probably costs me $5, but he puts up with it because he knows I love it. And that makes me smile. :)


So today as you meander through life and wherever you live, instead of thinking of what you'd change, think about those little things that bring you joy. You know, the ones you bought at Marshalls or those 10 cent pictures in a discount frame.
It will make you happy- the joyful kind of happy. :)
With love from Starbucks in El Centro,
Paige






3 comments:
i like seeing your home :)
You are awesome! I have never seen you crabby and I lived with you for years! Luv your home and all your stuff!
Barbie
I dreamed this week that I was pregnant but it didn't make me happy. Being 54 with a hysterectomy was really upsetting. I wasn't sure where the baby was "living." I hate mornings also so you get it from me. I have a new cookbook that says to limit soy intake because it is hard on the thyroid has been linked to dementia???? Wow, I hope I haven't burst your bubble! Love you and your sharing with us!!!
Post a Comment