Friday we went to a possible service site for next month's community engagement month. It involves a lot of manual labor but is by far the most organized/appealing of the sites. I don't think I'll put that as my first choice but I know that will get a big response. I think I'm going to chose "Walk in the Light" which was last week's. It's an old prison that has been converted into a woman's shelter, school, business place, etc. and I think that my personality and strengths will fit best then. I'm not going to lie.. the women who come usually have babies or are pregnant (most likely from rape) and I would love to be with the babies!!! :)
Saturday was a long day but awesome! Well, the morning was pretty frustrating because we had a long and boring art time in a museum in Durban. BUT once that was over the day looked great :) Our driver dropped us off at a market on the beach we have been to before (might I brag- on the Indian Ocean!:)) and my friend Yvette and I did some great shopping! I got some stuff for my apartment next year and am SO stoked! Beautiful picture, coasters, etc. :) :) :) And all for such great deals. And I used my bargaining skills (thanks to Jim Bogear who taught me them while I was with his family in Jamaica) and got my prices low low low :)
It was SO HOT that day so we walked to the main restaurant and had some smoothies and met up with some of the group. We went to the beach, shopped around, showered/rinsed up and headed to the busses for the SHARKS RUGBY GAME! We all painted our faces and were wearing Red & Black (minus the guy I gave the curse of the elephant to who had to be Lion's fan wearing Red and White:))
The game was SO FUN! And that's not just because we won :) It's hilarious how much more entertaining it is than football. The play doesn't stop when the ball falls, there is no padding, and the two 40 minute halves went by so quickly and are SO intense!! Plus, we were all sitting together and by some awesome fans and we STARTED most all of the chants and the wave (which was seriously impressive to get the WHOLE stadium doing what we decided!). Such an awesome game. They had 16 inch hotdogs as their signature meal and beer was abundant. Overall: AWESOME night. We got back at about 11pm that night. Talked to Jeremy for a few then headed to sleep to wake up about 6 hours later to go to church.
Definitely shouldn't have gone because I was too tired. No sense in going to church if you're excited to pray because you have an excuse to close your eyes! Took a nap when I got back but the mood of that whole day with everyone was that we were all SO tired and had a lot of homework to do. As you can tell, we don't have much time to devote to homework as they keep us busy with activities and all our Saturdays are occupied. All day yesterday I replied emails then stayed up later to do my homework. (Late being in bed at 11:30... the perception time is just different being here) I got to talk to Barbie on Skype so that was a great break! I'm she could notice I was a little tired!
Today has been all class. Art which wasn't too bad (usually really boring), Life and Teachings which was great! (about healing and miracles in the gospels), and now I'm in History and Culture of SA which isn't too entertaining (thus why I'm writing the blog!)
This week is my big work week. Have a art presentation, Life & Teachings paper and giving the talk in chapel on Friday. Realllly excited because on Wednesday I'm going with the biology class to a nature reserve to see rhinos. Woo hoo! Busy busy. Other than that life is "normal".
Today we had chapel before classes where a man who is a mentor/leader here at AE came to speak. He talked about the destiny that God has for us, which at first I thought was a corny topic but as he went on he then challenged us to take a time of prayer in which, in my frustration I was talking to God about how I want to know so badly what kind of job to pursue and what to "do" with my life and God clearly challenged me, "Why? Why do you need to know right now? You want to know because you want security. Having total security is not living a life of faith. I am not going to tell you. You need to have faith. Take a step then see where I took you." I'm not going to lie- I was still frustrated in that moment. But as the day has passed I have been really encouraged and excited that God CARES about me enough to 1) reassure me 2) challenge and stretch me 3) have a plan for me that, even though I may not know, is STILL a plan to use me for His kingdom. How awesome! This is GOD we are talking about, people! God, the creator of the universe, told me today to just trust him and take steps of faith. How awesome.
Praise God for his faithfulness and the fact that he cares SO much for each one of us!
5 comments:
Good morning, honey! It was great to get up this morning and read your blog first thing. I checked it last night before bed, and then this morning, here it is! :-)
So glad God spoke to you and you listened. Now you need to hang on to those words, because the same question will come up again and again. I guess instead of your vocation being some mystery you are trying to figure out, God wants you to see it more like a flower whose petals are unfolding. You can't rush the process, or you damage the flower. To get the full, sweet fragrance, one just has to wait and enjoy each stage that comes before.
I've got a long day ahead, so I will close - love you so much!
mom
Haha for some reason while reading that I got a mental image that if I got a revelation of what I should do then my flower is suddenly completely destroyed. (Obviously I know what you meant though) :)
I'm still waiting for my revelation. Great to talk to you yesterday.
Hugs, B
Yea, my flower ain't open yet either. What will I be when I grow up?........
I read you post, i miss you, i love you. :-) that is all.
Oh, and Josh wants to know if you drank beer at the rugby game? LOL
Post a Comment