Thursday, March 19, 2009

Learning.


HELLO!
I've wanted to blog for a few days but haven't had time! Haha I actually don't have time now but I am making it. Aka less sleep! Oh well:)

Ok so this week we were in the community once again. The weather here has turned really gray and rainy so that has kind of added to the mood. Plus we have now four sicknesses: this stomach/diarrhea bug, a head cold, bronchitis and strep throat. So living in this kind of "commune" it's only a matter of time before they go around! Can't do much to avoid. Lately I've been feeing well so that's good. But every day we end up having a few people staying behind from going to service sites. :(

This week, although it was gloomy, was a great week at the sites! Monday, Tuesday and Thursday we work in Gateway Christian School in the morning, have lunch, then go to the women's shelter until 3. In the mornings I have worked half in the front office doing administrative work with my friend Lauren then we've both gone into different classrooms for the other half. I have been grading papers and then today I taught Art to a fourth grade class. Like, had them for an hour, gave the lesson prep and was in charge. Ha! Love this whole trust thing Africans have! Didn't do too shabby! In the afternoons we have hung out with the women and tried to (secretly) develop community and trust between us all. Most of them do not know each other so it's definitely a different type of community!

These are some of the things I'm learning lately:
- African women LOVE to sing, dance, draw, laugh, etc. They have such childlike spirits and enjoy to play and hang out.
- They do not play games that exclude people. If someone gets "out" in a game that person just leaves. It's all about community and inclusion.
- The women pass their children amongst each other and help take care of the babies. And you can always tell when the mom has their own baby because they kiss them over and over!!
- Kids aren't getting any discipline at home since most of them live with their grandparents or whoever so teachers act as parents in doing all of the discipline, life skills, etc.
- While grading papers for the 4th grade class I was surprised at what they were learning! It was all about living in a Village and the questions were "What do you do if the tap runs out of water? Go to the stream." "How do you purify water? Filter, bleach, boil." "What happens if you drink dirty water? You get diarrhea." etc. It's great that these kids are learning health and safety but it really is just so different from the states!
- I have been told that African people do not expect love in marriage and do not marry for love.
- Pedestrian crossing lines here are called "Zebra Hump Crossing" (or something to that effect) by the locals!
- Sometimes no matter how crazy I run at a monkey and how loud I run they STILL DON'T GO!
- Whenever I speak Zulu the people laugh SO HARD at me! I've been told it's out of enjoyment and they are so pleased I am trying. I still think they partially think I sound like a fool!
- I am awful at doing the clicks. And I know you're all going to ask me to do it when I get back! Oh boy.. I should start practicing now...
- What is poverty to America can be considered upper class here. And that's not to bash Africa... it's just to show that there is TRULY poverty here.
- My heart breaks for the kids who go all day without food who I work with day after day and have never complained ONCE.
- There are no after school sports since the kids have to catch their rides to get back to their homes (which are at least a half hour away). Usually someone buys a truck (called a "buckee" here) and takes kids to and from school... usually about 14 kids piled in who each pay a small fee. There is no public transportation. They have taxies but they are not safe or cheep.
- Although I mentioned maybe wanting to be a teacher... my Art class made me think twice today! It's HARD!!!
- I had the kids today draw their dreams and it is so encouraging to see their spirits lift when they would each tell me what their dream was. I had a ballerina, teacher, doctor, actress, one boy drew an elephant! ha, a swimmer, soccer player, rugby player.... these dreams can't be forgotten. I pray they're not forgotten.
- If every person in Africa were to get into a monogamous relationship and only have ever had sex with their spouse AIDS could be COMPLETELY gone in two generations.
- It doesn't matter how much you miss someone- it doesn't change when you see them next!
- Taking too much iron isn't good for your body. Oops!
- When you read that thing about AIDS did you think about praying for a miracle? I don't. But I should. Think how AWESOME and POWERFUL God is!!! I wonder if we had more faith what could happen...
- No matter how much I talk to God throughout the day, going without reading the Bible drains me.
- I struggle with pride.
- I LOVE planning out my life and the fact that the Online Class Schedule for Fall '09 is up makes me SO HAPPY! Had my schedule down day one!!
- I have pictures that should be uploaded but now I definitely don't have time for that!
- If my mom were here she would be so frustrated that I haven't done my homework yet... that's due in 20 minutes! OH no!!!! More blogging later.. oops!! (Don't worry, Mom, it's not too much homework....)

With my love from South Africa,
Paige

3 comments:

Brooke said...

Keep writing those things down, lest you forget them!

"Sometimes no matter how crazy I run at a monkey and how loud I run they STILL DON'T GO!" You really MUST have someone video this for me!

the sniders said...

i agree!!! keep writing these down. i'm not there, so i can't remember your time in SA for you like i can remember your childhood. HAHAHA! plus, i love reading about what you are learning! love you! oh, and i would also love to see a video of you running at the monkeys. :D

jeremiah said...

love it love it love it.