Hello!
So much happens in a day here.. It's hard to catch up on multiple days!!
I am doing really well. I no longer am sick (yey!) and am feeling energized. Thursday was another day at our service sites. We visited the grade school and figured out what we'll be doing there. I will be working with the PE class, as a teacher's aid, and in the front office. SO fun!
I have been contemplating teaching as a job and am looking forward to this experience a lot! Talked with a friend Sean who came with four other guys that are APU grads to visit the center (they're all currently living in SA) and he said that in CA you can do student teaching for a year while taking a credential class and be a qualified teacher after (if you have already gotten your BA). So I wonder about that. I am still really interested in pursuing wedding planning too. Or maybe working with a non-profit. Ha! So basically I have no idea. If you have any revelations let me know :) I am feeling so good about not knowing though- oddly. I am such a planner but at some point either I'm going to stress about it or just go with the flow! Currently I'm going with the flow :)
What else is new... Friday we had our long class. So that's not new. That night we went to a commissioning service for a group through AE called Foxfire. It was super long. Like a graduation. And because we didn't know the people it was pretty long... but after a few hours it was over! That night Jeremy and I got to talk for the first time in a long time!! Ah it was SO good! We actually had a good connection with the internet and had some time to to chat. I was sad though because it got late here and so I had to go :( But still it was SO nice to connect with him!!! As you can imagine it's hard being away!
This Saturday was probably my favorite day since we've been here! We went to uShaka which is a marine world/water park. And it wasn't even necessarily the "most fun park EVER!" but I just truly enjoyed my whole day! The groups I was with were SO fun and we just got to be like kids all day! It poured rain mid day but we were wet so we didn't care! Just a fun fun time :)
As you can tell- I have no pictures. I haven't wanted the people we're working with to feel like we're observing them or that we are trying to show off our cameras so I haven't brought them to the sites. Also, I have forgotten to bring it when we go out!!! Lame!
Oh and last night a big group went out dancing but some of us went to the Keg and then watched Italian Job on the big screen. Oh, I realized I say we go to the Keg ALL the time- because we DO! It is the closest place, has semi-mexican food, and awesome desserts. I also realized that constantly saying "I went to the Keg" makes me sound like a drunk. On the contrary: I am not. No worries there folks.
Today I took a lazy day. Yes, maybe should have gone to church. But Sundays are the only day I can sleep so I usually take advantage of that. (Don't try this at home)
So I slept in, journaled, listened to Mom and Dad's sermon podcasts (shout out for arcadechurch.com!), went to lunch, went on a mall run (which as I said before also has grocery stores, movie theaters, restaurants, stores, etc.). Four of us sat at the South African Starbucks, "Mug & Bean", and talked and had smoothies and then Alex and I joined a group going to "New in Town"....
Worst movie! OK, well I went to "He's just not that into you" and THAT was the worst movie! But this one was second. It was just stupid. I was looking forward to watching a cute, predictable, romantic comedy. And I don't even really like Renee Zellweger so I didn't have high hopes but it bombed. Luckily Alex and I made fun of it the whole time so we got our $2 worth. :) Some girls who went enjoyed it but I really don't know how! Oh well. We had a great time afterwards laughing at it! :)
And that's my weekend! This week we have service sites Monday-Thursday, Woody (our campus pastor) comes in on Tuesday with his family so that will be FUN! We're going hiking to see some cave art on Saturday. No plans Sunday. And that's my week!
Oh also exciting: I'm OVER HALF WAY DONE! Yup- this is the Wednesday of the week. The downhill stretch. :) So that's exciting! 7 1/2 weeks to go :) (I know last time I said 7 weeks. I was wrong. At the point it was 8).
Ok, off to dinner! I know I'm talking in tangents. Lo siento!
With love from Africa,
Paige
6 comments:
Have I told you I miss you LIKE CRAZY!! And I can't believe that for the first time in... 20 years (?! could it be)... I'm not going to celebrate my birthday with you?! Weird...
Thanks for updating! I love reading your accounts :D
Love you, sis! :-)
mom
Lo siento isn't very Zulu! Thanks for sharing. Jackie
Hey Paige. Hope you have an awesome week. BTW, love the zebra border but can't read the post through it very well. Love ya, ~J
Yeah the zebra went crazy on me... that definitely didn't work out!! And I probably speak more Spanish here than I do Zulu considering I know about 4 sentences in Zulu!! :)
Love you cousin! I love reading your blogs and can't wait to see your face again in 7.5 weeks!
Post a Comment