So I have had an eventful weekend!! One of the campus pastors, Woody, and his family are here visiting/on vacation. On Friday some of us went to the Keg after dinner for dessert. I should take a picture of what we get because it's the same thing every time!! I get Death By Chocolate (surprised?) :) and almost everyone else gets Malva Pudding (which is a dense cake thats carmelled up and served with ice cream- a fav here). That night we turned in fairly early. Nothing too exciting... except for it being gay night at the Keg. That spiced things up. Ha!
Breathtaking!
Saturday we woke up early and headed out to see some cave paintings. Really the best part of the trip wasn't the cave paintings, although those were cool to see considering that's practically all my Art class was focused on! Our bus rides here are pretty awesome.. especially when you get a group together that clicks well! We had to take two busses (which really are kind of a 15 passenger van, not a bus) and I got on an awesome one. On the way there we all talked, then we all read, (currently reading "Time Travelers Wife" and so far, so good) then we all fell asleep! The ride there was about 2 hours. I thought before this trip that I couldn't read in a car but praise the LORD I can and not get car sick! So we arrive at this location which is near the Drakensburg mountains which are beyond beautiful and we got to hike there! And I'm really not Miss Nature but this was SO great! I ended up leading the way in the hike, with Alex behind me (apparently we are the only ones with big strides- Barbie you taught me well) and we trekked through beautiful valley up into a mountain to see some of the cave art! Pictures don't really do it justice but MAN aren't they beautiful?!? The clouds here are unlike anything I've ever seen! It looked as if we were walking into a painting...
Some of the rocks similar to what we saw the cave paintings on
Our rock art tour guide was so quirky- it was hilarious. Basically she has said that same speech a thousand times so it felt like we had pressed "Play". We had some good laughs.. then we hiked back but this time along the river instead of through the grass. It was an 8-4:30 day by the time we had gotten back. Fun fun :)
Beautiful Fall leaves:) First time I've seen something that isn't lush green here!
That night so many of us were itching to go out. We spend a lot of time here on campus and sometimes we just need to get AWAY! So we went to a place called Firken & Ferret to escape and went to MC DONALDS across the street! Oh my GOODNESS can I tell you how great it was to have fries and ketchup!?! Haha I sound like a fattie but really it was like home! And they have McFlurries here too! So we tried those. The size is exceptionally smaller but it's still good ol' McDonalds soft serve! And while we're on the topic of foods let me just list the foods I miss the MOST! Mom's spaghetti! Man it's good. Oh and her steak and baked potatoes. Barbie's baked goods and mashed potatoes. Mrs. Aaron's burgers with grilled onions and the works. Brooke's granola bars. Ha! Sorry Brooke, I couldn't resist. :)
Me and Megan Goeman in the Taxi Saturday night to go out!
Today I got to get some good sleep, woke up with a headache which kind of lingered today so that was a bummer, and honestly didn't have the best day. I suddenly got really frustrated with not having gotten RA and wondering what I should get involved in now that RA and a few other opportunities I would have wanted to pursue aren't available, feeling unhealthy with the food we are graciously served here (but still- it is not healthy!), REALLY missing home, and it being Sunday here but everyone at home is fast asleep! So I was pretty mellow all day. I listened to Ryan Brinson's sermon (called "Project 58" on arcadechurch.com) that Mom and Dad had recommended me to listen to and loved it. He read Isaiah 58 out of The Message and it came alive to me. I was really hit by the part that said "Stop gossiping about other people's sins". I never think I do until I hear it plain and simple like that and am convicted that yes, in fact I am totally guilty of that. But the rest of that chapter is so great in reminding us of how FAITHFUL the Lord is! And with true repentance and a real relationship with the Lord he will come alive to us! It was just what I needed to hear and God knew that! So I'm once again reminded that it really isn't all about what I "do" at APU next Fall. I need to realize where I'm at NOW! I am in Africa, serving, learning, having my patience tested, and I need to seek opportunities HERE AND NOW! I need to trust that God is working out the Fall for me and in the mean time, let it go. So that's my day today :) Oh! Jeremy and I got to Skype tonight for so long! It's like we had a REAL conversation!!! Much needed too. Loved it!!!!
Before I forget- After about Wednesday no one should send me packages here as we will be gone in 3 weeks. It's crazy to think as this has become a home away from home that we will be leaving. Especially because the walls are decorated, luggage location forgotten, and monkey sightings an every day occurrence! So weird to think I will actually be leaving!
The beautiful AE campus in which I live... for 3 more weeks!
This week's schedule:
Monday and Tuesday are I will be working at the school in the morning and the women's shelter in the afternoon.
Wednesday I will be going on the feeding scheme again into a township and helping prepare/serve food and hang out there.
Thursday we have our long community class.
Friday is the start of SAFARI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ok this is like the biggest deal of the semester and I PRAY no one gets super sick and we can all go! I've heard this is so much fun! I will be gone from Friday early to Sunday night and am SO excited! We camp out for 3 days and see animals and... yeah. I'm not sure what we do.. but I'm stoked! :)
Off to bed!
With love from South Africa,
Paige
2 comments:
I missed talking to you again this weekend. I hope you have a wonderful week and thanks for keeping us posted on all of your happenings. Service was awesome today. Big things are about to happen at AWC. We are going to need more room!
Loving you,
Barbie
Oh, Paigey! Mama loves you! :-)
Good talking with you last night. It was great to see your smiling face.
Hope you have an awesome week. What are you reading in the bible lately?
mom
Post a Comment