The lovely woman who runs this feeding scheme is Mama Gertrude. She is 79 and got a vision to feed the poor. She used to make huge amounts of gritz and stew out of her home until she needed a bigger spot. So she now uses her church in the township to feed families. She used to do it all alone, lugging the huge pots and bags of food and water to feed the people. Praise the Lord now she has help! But even so, she is the most hard working woman I've seen. I never saw her sit from 9-3. Her husband is madly in love with her. He is 80 and was working hard in the fields all day. I can't wait to show you guys a picture of the two of them... she is plump and curvy and he is thin and lean. He was telling us about her and her vision and how he hates how people say that the woman stands behind the man because he will stand along side her and follow the vision the Lord has given HER when she walked in the room.. he started singing a hymn, "In a Land Where We'll Never Grow Old."

The room went silent and we all just sat there with tears in our eyes! To be that old and still so in love... our hearts melted. She bashfully turned away and got his lunch and brought it to the table for him. He was standing with us, quoting scripture and telling us of the love of Jesus she was standing in the other room waiting a good ten minutes for him to come. Honestly I have never seen a more beautiful depiction of love. He cherishes her more than anything in the world and she serves him with delight. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6eAdTejOvs (If you want to hear the song)
In addition to that heartwarming moment we had a great day! Our challenge given to us before we went was "Go to BE not DO. We hare human BEINGS and you need to stop occupying yourself with things to do and sit and talk and build relationships." When we got to the church we started cutting and peeling potatoes, carrots and onions for the stew and chatted with our translator from Project Gateway. Then we had time to just sit with the women and BE. About 12:30 the women and their children started showing up. We played with the kids with toys and chalk we had brought and talked with the moms a little. We only really know greetings in Zulu but you can tell they appreciate our efforts as they laugh at us in delight (or so we hope!) :) The food had already been prepared but we all still sat for about an hour until about 20 women with children and a few men had come with their bowls/containers/bags. Mama Gertrude led us in a time of singing and prayer. Before coming to SA we learned a Zulu song which was we all sung as a group along with another we did not know. She had Dave (a guy in my group) pray and she continued with a talk (in Zulu of course) and more prayer. Then we dished up!
We later learned that the portion that would look like the typical Thanksgiving plate would be taken home and divided for 2-5 people for that day's food. One boy comes and gets that portion for him and his grandma which lasts them 2 days. This is ONE PLATE OF FOOD! I was amazed. Mama Gertrude says she is trying to add on Friday meals as well as Monday and Tuesday. She also teaches a sewing class to the women on Thursdays and does home visits. She is beyond admirable... a life dedicated to service and what the Lord has called her to. This is SO much work for her in her old age but I don't think she's ever even thought about that! Just pressing on, doing work for the Lord.
That was that! I have had my share of CUTE and CHUBBY babies this week and can not wait to hold even more! Held a 2 month old baby yesterday :) Forgot what those wobbly heads and squirming arms and legs looked like! Made my heart melt! Can't wait for my little nephew Chet to get here so I can love on him too!!!
That's all my news :) As you can tell: wonderful day. But it didn't start out like that. We are all exhausted. Sick. I think I am getting bronchitis. There is a bug going around. But we started our day in prayer. Asking God for energy and spiritual renewal and MAN did he deliver! I honestly didn't even think about being so exhausted until we sat down after our work. God is so faithful.
With love from Africa,
Paige
8 comments:
Can you believe you are almost half done! What will the rest of us do when we won't have this to read each day -- we have become a part of your experience and your excitement pours over onto us. What an example that little elderly couple gives to the rest of us. We love you -- be careful and fight that bronchitis! Jackie
I've heard about Mama Gertrude, but you made her really come alive. Thanks, Paige. Love you and pray for you. ~J
You've heard about her?? How!? I didn't know she was well known!
From Jeff Norris (our old youth pastor) who is ministering in South Africa. At least I'm pretty sure this is the woman he was telling us about.
Well, that is thrilling to say the least. I agree with Jackie on how much I look forward to your blogs and you sharing your day with us. Stay healthy and get some rest.
Luv, B
so awesome, paigie! mama gertrude and her husband are so inspirational. what an amazing kind of love. miss you friend. i hope you feel better soon!
love you,
~L
great post...thanks Paige!
wow. humbled.
Post a Comment